Round tower, Clonmacnoise

Clonmacnoise, Cluain Mhic Nóis, The Pastures of the descendents of Moas.  Situated on the River shannon it is one of Irelands most important and interesting monastic settlements.  St. Ciaran founded a monastry here in 548 and it was so succesful that the vikings burned it no less than 26 times between 844 and 1012.  Rory O'Connor, Irelands last high king was buried here in 1198.  

The cathedral built in the 15th century and restored in 1689, has a fine door with the figures of Saint Francis, Saint Patrick and Saint Dominic.

King Flann's Cross, or the Cross of the scriptures stands by the west door of the cathedral.  It dates from the early 10th century and is decorated with scenes of the last judgement, crucifixion, animal and human figures.

The South Cross, 11th century also shows the crucifixion, while only part of the 9th century North Cross remains.

Celtic Cross, Clonmacnoise 

Back to An Irish Photo Album