Castlewellan, Caisleàn UidbilÍn, Uidhilin's Castle. This
forest park gets
its name from the village laid out by the Annesley family from 1750
onward. William Annesley built the market house in the 18th century
and the Scottish Baronial-style castle nearby in the 1850's. This 18th
cent home is what the arboretum was built around. The gardens
have spread from the original walled gardens which were built in 1740.
There are lovely traditional gardens, hot houses, a lake and lots
of beautiful plants and trees to see here, and it is all open to the public.
Tullymore forest Park is also in the area.
Back to An Irish Photo